Individuals with high arch feet tend to underpronate rather than overpronate as with lower arches, which results in the foot not being able to absorb shock correctly. High arch feet are also susceptible to foot and leg injuries.
Strenuous activities like running can cause excessive strain and muscle pain for people with high arches. In such a problem, it is good to know that there are many high arches running shoes that provide maximum shock absorption and cushioning. These shoes help relieve pain and improve the running experience.
Pes cavus, commonly referred to as the high arch foot, is a term used to describe a human foot type where the sole is raised higher than normal. Those with high arches carry their weight on the balls and heels of the feet, placing excessive stress on the toes and leading to instability. It is the opposite of flat foot but can be more painful and stressful.
High-arched feet are caused by many factors. The high arched foot is most often an inherited structural deformity and it is generally unrelated to any other health issues. Conversely, the pes cavus condition is more likely to be caused by a nerve or bone condition.
High arched feet do not show signs in some people but can often develop with age as compressed bones begin to misalign or fuse. Symptoms may include hammertoes, calluses, plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia, and pains on the foot, hips, knee, or lower back.
Unlike the flat foot, the highly arched foot can be more painful because more weight is situated on the section of the foot between the ankle and toes. This foot condition can sometimes make it difficult to fit into shoes. That is why individuals who have high arches need plenty of foot support to prevent pain and disability.
The treatment for high arches may vary depending on the cause and severity of the condition. Here are some of the common, non-surgical options for a high arched foot.
- Custom orthotic devices - To correct the foot position and provide enough arch support, using a shoe that allows for a custom orthotic device may help. This will also help improve stability and cushioning.
- Ankle braces - To prevent excessive supination and stabilize wobbly ankles while walking or running, wearing ankle braces may help.
- Physical therapy - To improve muscle tone and tendon flexibility, physical therapy may be necessary to learn proper stretching techniques.
- High arch shoes - The high arch athletic and running shoes are often the easiest solution to help relieve pain and improve walking and running posture.
Features of good running shoes for high arches
There are many running shoes available today that are specifically designed for high arched feet. Here are a few excellent features to consider in high arch running shoes.
- Support Features - Find a running shoe that offers excellent shock absorption and cushioning. The shoe should also be able to keep the ankle from twisting and limit pronation.
- High Arch Support – To eliminate pain while running, choose a running shoe that provides reliable arch support specifically for a high arch foot.
- Motion Control - Get a running shoe that does not have excessive stability control.
- Shock Absorbency – A runner with high arched feet lack the natural ability to absorb shock. Getting a pair of running shoes that provide great shock absorption will help prevent pain and injury.
- Cushioning – Ample cushioning, especially in the ball and heel of the foot is necessary for a comfortable running experience.
Benefits from high arch running shoes
Quality high arch shoes offer some of the following important benefits:
- Good running shoes for high arches help distribute the weight and pressure across the foot, lessening or preventing foot pain.
- High arch shoes provide optimal support and help improve posture, lessening the chance of foot pain and problems.
- Running shoes designed for high arches prevent the arches from collapsing.
Frequently asked questions
Do high arches cause problems?
Some individuals are naturally born with high arched feet. But for others, having high arched feet are a symptom of an underlying condition like stroke, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, polio, and other issues.
High arches don’t usually create problems, but they can sometimes cause pain
What shoe brands are suitable for high arches?
Here are some of the top brands that produce reliable high arch running shoes.
- Nike offers several high arch running shoes with adequate cushioning, stability and arch support.
- Most Saucony running shoes feature the contoured ‘Formfit’ insole that works for runners with high arches.
- There are numerous Brooks running shoes available that offer maximum arch support to help decelerate pronation and promote a more efficient gait cycle.
- Asics manufacture high arch shoes that provide excellent cushion design to ensure maximum shock absorption.
- Mizuno has created various running shoes that provide a smooth, cushioned, and stable ride for runners with high arches.
What are the best running shoes for high arches?
Here are some of the best running shoes for women with high arches.
- Saucony Ride 10 - The stability design of this running shoe is perfect for high arches. It offers maximum arch support needed on different types of hard surfaces.
- Asics Gel Kinsei - This running shoe gives the right amount of flexibility that is suitable for high arches. It is designed to absorb impact to help reduce pain.
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 - This running shoe offers cushioning, flexibility, and support that is perfect for high arches.
- Brooks Ghost 12 - The best part of this running companion is the careful balance of cushioning and support that help spread out the impact across the sole.
Here are some of the best running shoes for men with high arches.
- Asics Gel Nimbus 21 - Runners who have high arches benefit from the soft cushioning and shock absorption features of this shoe.
- Brooks Launch 6 - This running gear provides long-lasting comfort and flexibility that help lessen pain, making running a lot easier.
- Altra Torin 3.0 - This running companion is created to provide comfort to people suffering from high arches. It offers stability and encourages a natural, comfortable gait.
- Asics Gel Quantum 180 4 - Providing maximum comfort and flexibility, this running shoe helps lessen the impact to reduce strain and foot problems.
15 best high arch running shoes
- Asics Gel Excite 6
- Adidas Ultraboost 19
- Adidas Adizero Boston 8
- Brooks Glycerin 17
- New Balance FuelCell Propel
- Brooks Ghost 12
- Adidas Senseboost Go
- New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 v9
- Brooks Ghost 11
- Hoka One One Clifton 5
- Saucony Kinvara 10
- Saucony Freedom ISO 2
- Brooks Levitate 2
- Nike Epic React Flyknit 2
- On Cloud
A score from 1 to 100 that summarizes opinions from users and experts. The average CoreScore is 78. More...